Promoting a Safer Church
Parish of St, Mary's Church, Chartham
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
• Promoting a safer environment and culture.
• Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
• Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
• Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
• Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
• Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
• Create a safe and caring place for all.
• Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
• Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
• Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
• Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
• Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
• Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
• Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
• Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
• Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
• Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
Where to go if you need help or have any concerns:
St Mary's Parish Safeguarding Officer
Reinhard Guss, 07712 230 509
St Mary's Churchwarden
Cathy Arnold, 07310 230 503
Any child wishing to talk about a problem can contact Childline on 0800 1111
Any parent or carer wishing to talk about parenting problems can contact Family Lives on 0808 800 2222
The Parish Safeguarding Coordinator(s) is available to speak with adults or children.
Church of England - Promoting a safer church
Diocese of Canterbury - Safeguarding
Canterbury Diocese Safeguarding Advisers
Fiona Coombs, 07548 232395, email@example.com
Paul Brightwell, 07398 009951, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kent County Council Social Services
Out of hours, 0300 041 9191
Phone: 0800 1111
Help for Children and Young People, Childline - 0800 1111
Adults concerned about a child: phone 0808 800 5000